Thursday, March 29, 2012

Auto filling

Hi,
I'm new to MSSQL world and I have a little question:
I have just added a new field to a table containing some 3000 rows...
The new field has the same value for all the existent rows...
How can I automatically update all rows ?
I would like to put "EN" string in all rows... What tool do I need to
use ? (SQL query analyzer ?)
Any site, if this is to complex to explain here ?
TIAYou could write a simple UPDATE command in Query Analyzer, something like
this:
UPDATE myTable
SET newColumn = 'EN'
If you exclude the WHERE clause, all rows will be affected.
HTH,
Andrés
"Peter Osawa" <posawa@.sun.es> wrote in message
news:ulIkXhzjEHA.3056@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
> I'm new to MSSQL world and I have a little question:
> I have just added a new field to a table containing some 3000 rows...
> The new field has the same value for all the existent rows...
> How can I automatically update all rows ?
> I would like to put "EN" string in all rows... What tool do I need to
> use ? (SQL query analyzer ?)
> Any site, if this is to complex to explain here ?
> TIA
>|||Thanks
King regards
Andres Taylor wrote:
> You could write a simple UPDATE command in Query Analyzer, something like
> this:
> UPDATE myTable
> SET newColumn = 'EN'
> If you exclude the WHERE clause, all rows will be affected.
> HTH,
> Andrés
> "Peter Osawa" <posawa@.sun.es> wrote in message
> news:ulIkXhzjEHA.3056@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>Hi,
>>I'm new to MSSQL world and I have a little question:
>>I have just added a new field to a table containing some 3000 rows...
>>The new field has the same value for all the existent rows...
>>How can I automatically update all rows ?
>>I would like to put "EN" string in all rows... What tool do I need to
>>use ? (SQL query analyzer ?)
>>Any site, if this is to complex to explain here ?
>>TIA
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment